Should I be smudging?
Your aura is dusty. Sage that shit. -author unknown.
What is smudging?
Simply put smudging is using a few natural plants and herbs to clear an area or areas of the home.
It’s actually an ancient art, practiced by Native Americans in history. A daily act of cleansing and purifying your space using, herbs, often times sage, (I happen to love Palo Santo too) bundled together with string to form a smudge stick.
Similar to washing your hands before a meal, I like to think of it as washing my air space, a way to bring happiness and cleanliness to our homestead.
Smoke from the bundled herbs is believed to cleanse negative energy and purify your space, as well as people and even our everyday household items. It cleanses the person and air by releasing negative ions, increasing mood as well as quite a few other benefits. The highest concentration of negative ions can be found in nature, and clean air. I think anyone would agree going outside into nature is one of the quickest ways to boost mood and energy level.
Negative ions can clear the air of mold spores, pollen, pet dander, cigarette smoke, viruses, dust, and bacteria.
Our beloved iPhones, washing machines, computers are actually releasing positive ions into our homes, some refer to our homes as ‘positive ion prisons’ but can easily be counteracted with a little smudging.
Smudging in your home, or office space is sort of like cloaking yourself in an energetic shower, or spending the day hiking through the mountains. It offers a positive effect on mood and stress levels.
Smudging isn’t just witchy voo doo, (as I once believed) it truly has it’s benefits when you used in your space. The Journal of Ethnopharmacology published an article Medicinal Smokes in 2006 reporting that burned smudge sticks do in fact have the ability to cleanse the surrounding air of harmful bacteria. The authors reported a very large list of pathogenic bacteria was shown to be absent in an open room after a remarkable 30 days following treatment, leading the authors to conclude, “We have demonstrated that by using medicinal smoke it is possible to completely eliminate diverse plant and human pathogenic bacteria of the air within confined space.”
Should I be smudging?
The answer is up to you. But I’d definitely encourage you to try it.
The reasons I love it in my routine a few times a month is for many different uses.
- Increasing your sense of well-being and improving mental focus. – Do you ever find when you’ve spend too much time scrolling on your iPhone or watching tv you seem more depressed, or agitated? I can speak for myself and say I definitely do.
- Clearing negative energy. – When we moved into our first home, there were some oddities about the property. It was a sad little home that hadn’t been properly cared for in a long time, and to be honest it just felt sad and dark. Shortly after moving in I used a smudge stick, asked for a blessing on our new home to help clear the air.
- Nature’s antidepressant – As a sufferer of depression I always find that a quick jaunt in nature is an easy remedy to increase my mood, getting out in nature isn’t always an opportunity though, so its nice to have options. Smudging like I mentioned before releases negative ions similar to those experienced from being outdoors. It is said that smudging has the same effects on depression as prescription drugs without the side effects. Studies show that smudging releases negative ions that directly affect seratonin levels. I can vouch for myself when I say that smudging does lift my mood. It’s a relaxing, enjoyable experience.
- Cleansing objects- Smudging isn’t just to cleanse a room or office space, but it can also be used to cleanse objects. That antique dresser you brought home, I’d suggest you smudge that. Use your smudge stick allowing the smoke to pass over the item or items releasing negative energy.
- Relaxing effects. – Smudging offers a calm, relaxing effect known to lower blood pressure, relieve daily stress and tension as well as normalize breathing rates. The negative ions produced from the smudge stick are absorbed directly into your bloodstream. I notice that I feel relaxed immediately upon igniting the smudge stick, my kids enjoy it too and I like to think I’m teaching them useful skills to apply in their lives.
- Increased energy – Smudging has the ability to increase serotonin levels (that feel-good hormone) in the brain, boosting mood, improving focus, and creating a positive outlook. Since I find myself on my computer often if I’m feeling void of productivity or focus I smudge my workspace and I will say I notice an increase in my focus without a doubt.
- Improved sleep – Studies show that negative ions do in fact help improve sleep pattern. If you consider the positive ions floating around your home or work space it’s easy to see why annihilating those ions with negative ions could increase your sleep patterns. Mold , dust, animal hair can lead to allergies effecting sleep. Regulating serotonin levels through smudging also can significantly impact your sleep.
If you are anything like me, the idea of smudging seemed a bit too witchy for me. My parents raised us in the baptist church so my young perception of it was weird, witchcraft and God probably wasn’t a fan.
However age wises you up to the things in life that matter. Things that are weird or different might seem scary but it doesn’t hurt to try new things. I’m a lover a knowledge.
Smudging is a simple, inexpensive way to clean your homes. Definitely a staple to have around our homestead.
Do you smudge?